PLEASE REFRESH PERIODICALLY FOR THE MOST CURRENT INFORMATION.
Recovery: Go to www.BoulderCountyFlood.org (all county residents) or www.BoulderFloodInfo.net (City of Boulder) for information about assistance and resources available for those affected by the Boulder flood.
A note on roads: Boulder County Transportation is working as quickly as possible to open county roads when safely possible. Many county roads and state highways will be impacted for a long time. Check the Boulder County Road Status page for more information.
Xcel Energy is responding to concerns about the gas outages in the Niwot and Gunbarrel areas. For updates, continue to check: http://www.xcelenergy.com/About_Us/Energy_News/Emergency_Notices/Colorado_gas_outage
Xcel service crews will be working around the clock and will call each customer's phone number of record once they are ready to come to the area to perform pilot relights. If you would prefer to be reached at your cell phone or alternate number, please call Xcel at 1-800-895-4999 to provide that number.
12/06/2013 - Red Cross to open warming center; Pets will need to be dropped off at BV Humane Society by 7 p.m.
The American Red Cross is opening a warming shelter at Douglass Elementary School, 840 75th St. near 75th Street and Baseline Road for people impacted by the gas outage in Niwot and Gunbarrel. The center will become an overnight shelter if needed.
Plan ahead if you have pets! The Boulder Valley Humane Society will accept pets for an overnight stay if they are dropped off by 7 p.m. tonight. After hours, animals may be accepted at the Red Cross shelter. Bring crates, bedding, food and water (and containers to serve both) to help make your pets comfortable.
The American Red Cross will be opening a warming shelter for people impacted by the gas outage in Niwot and Gunbarrel. The center will be open starting at 3 p.m. today and is located at Douglass Elementary School, 840 75th St. near 75th Street and Baseline Road.
Xcel Energy is working to address a gas outage that is impacting a significant number of homes in parts of Boulder County, mostly in and around Niwot and Gunbarrel.
Boulder Fire-Rescue is offering tips to help keep people safe during the outage:
- If your pilot light is out after gas service is restored and you don’t know how to re-light it, you may contact Xcel to come to your home to relight the pilot for you. Xcel is asking individuals who need assistance to call 1-800-295-4999 to provide a cell phone for crews to contact you; if you will be home when crews come by, please leave your porch light. Call a professional contractor if you don’t wish to wait for Xcel.
- If your pipes freeze, avoid using blow torches or open flames to try to heat them. Just yesterday, Dec. 5, 2013, someone caused a fire in a mobile home while using a blow torch to heat frozen pipes. Although no one was injured, the mobile home suffered extensive damage from the fire. Space heaters can be used to keep pipes from freezing.
- If you have neighbors who are elderly or who are physically/mentally challenged, please check on them to make sure they’re okay. If they are in need of medical attention, call 9-1-1.
- If you plan to use an electric space heater, consider the following precautions:
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture and bedding.
- Make sure to keep a 3-foot “kid-free zone” around space heaters and fires.
- Use space heaters only when you’re present in your home or business, and only while you’re awake. Never use space heaters while you sleep.
How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas which can be produced when a furnace or other appliances are not working properly. It can also be produced when wood-burning fireplaces are not vented properly.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas, and inhaling it can cause death. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include feeling out of breath, dizziness, nausea and headaches. If you or any of your family members experience these symptoms, leave the building immediately and call 9-1-1.
- Make sure to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home or business. Check the batteries regularly to ensure that it’s working properly.
- Don’t use a charcoal or wood grill indoors or in a garage.
- Never operate kerosene or propane heaters indoors without proper venting.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.