The City of Boulder has lifted the pre-evacuation notice for the neighborhoods in south Boulder. A combination of more favorable weather conditions and the effectiveness of fire fighting efforts has decreased concern for the Flagstaff Fire to move into the City of Boulder neighborhoods. The fire is now estimated to be 30 percent contained. However, the city encourages residents to continue to be on alert if conditions change. Read more.
A media briefing will be held at 7:30 a.m. on Thursday, June 28, at the Boulder County Sheriff's Headquarters, 5600 Flatiron Parkway in Boulder.
Fire briefing holds good news for Flagstaff Fire. Latest information, as of 8 p.m. press briefing:
- Fire is 30 percent contained
- No significant growth today and no significant growth expected overnight; still at 280-300 acres in size.
- Heavy rain fell on the fire area Wednesday afternoon, increasing relative humidity.
- Hard fire lines are in place on the west and south sides of the fire area;
- East and north sides have no hard fire lines and are instead relying on fire retardant drops to form a barrier;
- Weather tonight: 56-61 degrees F., 53-58 percent relative humidity, winds out of the west at 8-13 mph with gusts of 25-30 mph between 2 and 8 a.m.
- No significant fire movement expeced overnight.
- Random torching of trees is to be expected.
- Fire crews will be working the fire all night. Severity Patrols -- fire crews in brush trucks -- will be patroling the neighborhoods bordering the fire area as well as evacuated areas along Flagstaff Road and Bison Drive looking for and putting out spot fires as they happen.
- So far there are no structures damaged or destroyed, no injuries and no structures are threatened.
- Because of progress made on the fire Wednesday and the cancellation of pre-evacuation status for nearby residents, the public call center and media/public information functions at the Boulder County Emergency Operations Center will cease operations at 8:30 p.m. tonight. A decision about whether or not the call center will be needed going forward will be made at a later time.
- The next media briefing will be held at 7:30 a.m. June 28 at the Boulder County Sheriff's Headquarters, 5600 Flatiron Parkway, Boulder.
Map of Flagstaff Fire Perimeter and Surrounding Areas
All known/reported spot fires caused by lightning strikes from this afternoon's storm are either under control or put out. Crews are on-scene for two small fires confirmed near 3700 Lefthand Dr. and 2500 Magnolia Rd. Neither is greater than one-quarter acre in size.
- June 27 - 5:01 p.m. - Police chief announces zero-tolerance for fireworks violations; increased patrols
- June 27 - 4:55 p.m. - New Fire Reported near South Boulder
- June 27 – 4:42 p.m. – Afternoon updates/briefing
- June 27 - 4:13 p.m. - Recent Comcast customers are encouraged to sign up for emergency alerts